Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Kothimbirichi Vadi

The weather was terrible yesterday; no sunshine and no rain. A cold wind blew noisily for most of the afternoon and evening. I desperately needed some coriander for corn fritters and avocado soup(recipe to be published soon) that I'd planned for dinner but I couldn't get myself to step out. I asked Harsh to pick up a little bunch on his was back from work and he walked in with three big bunches!!! What was I to do with them? The coriander leaves were wet and it didn't look like the bunches would last too many days. I stuffed them in the fridge thinking I'd deal with them the next day.
    Today, I thought I'd try my hand at making kothimbirichi vadi.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:


Finely chopped coriander - 2 big bunches
Gram Flour - 1 cup
Finely chopped green chillies - 3
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - a pinch
Baking Soda - a pinch
Grated Jaggery- 1 tbsp
Oil - 2 tsps
Salt - to taste

Method:


Mix all the ingredients together and make a thick batter taking care that its consistency isn't very thin (you may need to add a little water to get the right consistency). Transfer the batter into a greased tray/flat vessel so that  the batter is about an inch in thickness(the baking soda is going to make it puff up a little when it's cooking). Add water to a pressure cooker and place the tray inside.  Cover the pressure cooked with the lid and cook/steam for twenty minutes without putting the whistle on the pressure cooker. Switch off the pressure cooker after twenty minutes and let it cool. Now , cut the cooked batter into one/two inch pieces and shallow fry until they change their colour to a golden brown. Serve hot!!

3 comments: