Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Healthy Barley Soup

When I was a child my Grandmother used to make barley soup quite often. She was convinced that it was extremely good for health and had a lot of benefits. A few days ago, while I was grocery shopping, I found barley in an oriental store. I decided to buy some and tried making a soup inspired by my childhood memories.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:


Barley - 3 tbsps
Sliced Onion - 1 medium
Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Finely chopped carrot - 1
Finely chopped parsley - 1 tbsp
Vegetable stock - 1 litre
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Pepper - to taste
Salt - to taste

Method:


In a large pan saute the sliced onions in olive oil. When the onions are soft, add the garlic paste and saute for a little while longer. Now add the barley, chopped carrot and vegetable stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer till the barley is well cooked. It usually takes around 30-45 minutes for the barley to cook. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment