Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pasta Pilaf


Last week I experimented with a recipe I found in the book ' Fresh Ways with Pasta'. I really liked the outcome so I thought I'd share the recipe with you.
Pasta Pilaf can be served as a main dish or as a side dish with roast chicken or grilled fish. I have made a few small changes to the original recipe. Here is it:

Ingredients:


Rice shaped pasta - 2 cups ( you can use Orzo, Riso or any rice shaped pasta)
Butter or Margarine - 4 tbsps
Finely chopped onion - 2 large
Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Finely chopped Tomatoes - 3 large
Fresh Basil leaves - a few
Water - 1/2 cup
Frozen Peas - 1 cup
Whipping cream - 1 cup
Grated Parmesan Cheese - 1/2 cup ( I am a little diet conscious so I serve the cheese separately so that each person can top their pilaf with just the quantity that suits them)
Salt and Pepper

Method:


Cook the pasta in boiling water and a little salt or as per the instructions on the packet. Cook it until it's just tender to bite. Do not overcook it. Once it's ready drain the water and keep the pasta aside. 


Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook till the onion is soft (not brown). Add the tomatoes and 1/2 cup water; reduce heat and cook covered for 10 minutes. Now, add the peas and the cream to the mixture and bring to a boil. The peas should cook quickly.
Mix in the pasta. Season with crushed basil leaves, salt and pepper. You can either stir in the cheese or serve the cheese separately so that it can be added to taste.










2 comments: