Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Vatanyache Gole

This is my grandmother's recipe. My grandfather relished simple, homemade food and this was one of his favourites. I'm not sure how and why a simple batata vatana bhaaji came to be called vatanyache gole in our household.
It's over a year since my grandfather passed away and my grandmother is too old to cook now. I often cook a lot of simple things she's taught me over the years. And, as I sit down to eat I'm filled with very happy memories of a simple home-cooked meal and a lot of endless, meaningful conversations over lunch/dinner with my grandparents.

Ingredients:


Shelled peas - 250 gms
Medium sized potatoes (washed, peeled and chopped) - 4
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
Asafoetita - a pinch
Green chillies (split into two) - 2
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Corriander leaves (chopped finely) - 1 tbsp
Water - 1 cup
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp

Method:


Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the asafoetida and the green chillies. Stir for a minute. Now, add the turmeric powder, garam masala and red chilli powder and stir for another minute. Add the potatoes and green peas and a cup of water. Add salt to taste. Cook until both the peas and the potatoes are cooked. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment