Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dutch Mustard Soup

Last week I tried some Dutch mustard soup (mosterdsoep) at two different cafes in Eindhoven. Mustard soup is traditionally made in the winter months. If you walk through the city centrum you will notice that a number of cafes and restaurants have mosterdsoep as their soep van dag (soup of the day). 
   At first the idea didn't seem appetizing but I couldn't resist the temptation to try something new as well as traditionally Dutch. Never thought I'd say this.....I absolutely loved the soup!! 
Of course, I had to try my hand at making the soup at home and I found a few good  recipes online. 


I used low fat cheese spread and low fat creme fraiche since we're a little diet conscious but I've read that if you use the full fat versions they mix better to form a much creamier soup. I'd like to think that thought my version was a little less creamy it was a tad bit healthier. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment