Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pudina Gobi Paratha



Yesterday was 'fridge clearance' day and I looked through the vegetable tray and tried to make up my mind about what to do with some of the vegetables from last week's shopping at the farmers' market.I found half a left-over cauliflower at home and decided to put it to good use.

I often refer to Chef Sanjeev Kapoor's website for recipes and usually love the way they turn out when I try them. Yesterday I decided to experiment with his 'Gobhi Parantha' recipe.

I don't exactly have the patience to knead the required dough or to grate a cauliflower but I usually rely on my food processor to make excellent chapati dough and chop,grate,grind and mince vegetables.

We like to eat healthy as much as possible so I replaced the ghee in the recipe with extra virgin olive oil. Also, I think that Kala Namak goes very well with a lot of parathas so I made that little addition to his recipe.

Ingredients:

Whole wheat flour (atta) 3 cups + for dusting
Salt to taste ( half a teaspoon of black indian salt goes very well with the ingredients)
Ghee to shallow fry+ tablespoons( I've used extra virgin olive oil)
Cauliflower 1 medium
Fresh mint leaves a few
Fresh coriander leaves bunch1/2 medium
Green chilli 3
Ginger 1/2 1/2 inch pieces
Dry mango powder (amchur) 1 tablespoons
Red chilli 1/2 teaspoon

Method:

Roll the whole wheat flour to a stiff dough and keep it covered for twenty minutes. Wash and grate cauliflower. Clean, wash and finely chop coriander leaves and mint leaves. Remove stems, wash and crush green chillies. Peel, wash and grate ginger. Mix these ingredients together adding amchur, salt to taste and red chilli powder. Divide dough in lemon-sized balls, roll out each ball into a medium thick chapati using flour for dusting. Spread the cauliflower mixture on half of one chapati and cover with the other half and seal the edges. Sprinkle a little flour on top, and roll the semi-circle a little taking care not to break it. Alternatively, pat with fingers. Heat a tawa and cook the parantha on both sides. Shallow fry to golden brown using a little ghee.


Definitely a paratha recipe you want to try!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment